Mini K47x Condenser Microphone
What do you get when you combine the circuit magic of the best-selling Mini K67x with the K47 capsule from the most popular mic in our catalog?
We are excited to announce the new Roswell Mini K47x !
- Midrange detail from the K47 capsule
- Tube-like harmonic saturation from the transformer circuit
- Includes our Cutaway shockmount and flight case
The Mini K47x provides a unique and compelling combination of the attributes of our two most popular microphones, while retaining the "point and shoot" simplicity of the Mini K mic family.
On quiet sources, the K47x would sound much like the Mini K47. On moderate to louder sources, the K47x circuit will be pushed into gentle saturation, which adds harmonic complexity and richness to the sound of the mic. Simultaneously, sharp transients in the source will be slightly rounded and softened, giving the K47x a a sound that evokes classic European tube microphones.
Like all Roswell microphones, the Mini K47x is assembled and tested in California, using the premium components and meticulous care for which Roswell is known.
Color, Character, Tone. Pick Any Three.
The mic's name, "K47x," refers both to the capsule design and circuit topology. The capsule is our K47, found in the best-selling Mini K47. The "x" refers to the transformer-coupled circuit, which gives the mic its trademark harmonic saturation.
Every Roswell microphone is subjected to a 24-hr "burn in" on our proprietary conditioning fixture, then tested extensively prior to shipping: polarity, noise, frequency response, sensitivity, and more. We perform an acoustic sweep test and listen to every microphone multiple times before it leaves our facility.
The Mini K47x has a durable metallic paint finish; the color is Metallic Indigo. Each mic ships with our exclusive Cutaway™ shockmount, Roswell branded microfleece mic sock, and an upgraded flight case.
A very limited quantity of the Mini K47x is in stock, ready for immediate shipping. We anticipate a delay in filling subsequent orders due to the popularity of the mic at launch.
We offer Custom Shop variations on the Mini K47x. Select these options using the drop-down menus at the top of this page.
Microphones with a Custom Shop powdercoat finish include an embossed, antiqued brass logo badge (as found on our Colares and Delphos II models).
- Large-diaphragm, single backplate Roswell K47 capsule
- Vintage circuit design with Roswell T7 output transformer
- Hand-picked, audiophile-grade capacitors
- Heavy, solid steel body with Metallic Indigo finish
- Exclusive Cutaway™ non-resonant shockmount
- Mid-forward frequency response complements piano, guitars, and vocals.
- Harmonic saturation enhances the source, much like a tube microphone would.
- Solid, high-quality construction ensures real-world durability and long service life.
- Low self-noise keeps hiss out of your tracks.
Design and Component Details
The Mini K47x capsule is a 34mm (large diaphragm) K47 design. It provides the familiar and expected rise in its frequency response in the 4-6kHz range, with a neutral top end.
The circuit design borrows from our flagship Colares microphone; it is a single-stage JFET/transformer topology, built around a selected vintage European-made output capacitor, the best-sounding modern filter capacitors on the market, and our own oversized T7 transformer with high nickel lamination.
The capacitor feeding the JFET is a critical component to the mic's sound. We've designed a custom bipolar electrolytic, with a special formulation of electrolyte that was initially developed for the legendary Black Gate line of capacitors.
Internal gain staging is carefully set for each individual mic to produce harmonic saturation at moderate SPL. This allows the Mini K47x to evoke the sound of vintage tube microphones, creating harmonics to complement the source, although without adding noise or crushing transients the way some tube mics would.
While the circuit topology in the K47x is shared with the K67x, these circuits differ in implementation, because we treat each product as a complete system. Here are the main circuit differences from the K67x:
- The K47x uses a more colored type of resistor, while the K67x resistors were chosen for transparency.
- All the filter capacitors are different formulations. As with the resistors, the K47x parts were chosen for color.
- The K47x uses our T7 transformer, while the K67x uses our T9 transformer.
|Acoustic Principle:||Pressure gradient transducer|
|Capsule:||34mm O.D. True Condenser, single-backplate K47
|Frequency Range:||20 - 20,000 Hz|
|Equivalent noise:||13 dBA|
|Supply voltage:||48±4 VDC|
|Physical dimensions:||150 × 44mm; 380g (mic only)|